Originally posted on Friday, 21 May 2010 at ROPL.org.
On April 20th an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico exploded and then sank to the Gulf’s floor. The oil slick is slowly making its way toward the Louisiana wetlands and the shore. The library has put together a collection of links, as well as a book display, about oil drilling, spills and water.
The impact of the oil spill has far reaching ramifications including water contamination and destruction of marine and land ecosystems. The oil spill will not only impact the families of the men who died when the oil rig sank as well as the oil industry as a whole, but also the jobs of fisherman and others who rely on the Gulf for their livelihood.
The following are a collection of information, from media (newspapers/radio/tv), the government and BP itself (the company who owns the rig that exploded and sank), as well as books in our own collection. Be sure to visit the library and check out our display.
Check out books on oil spills, the Gulf of Mexico, oil and the environment, water pollution and much more.
Information from BP:
- Gulf of Mexico response
- Live stream of the oil spilling into the Gulf
- Deepwater Horizon Response (includes video and pictures)
- Official Twitter for the Deepwater Horizon oil spill
Information from the US Government:
- FWS Oil Spill Response (US Fish and Wildlife Service)
- Deepwater Horizon Incident, Gulf of Mexico (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)
- Deepwater BP Oil Spill (White House)
- EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Update (Food and Drug Administration)
- NPS Oil Spill Response (National Park Service)
- BP Oil Spill: Fisheries Information (NOAA)
- USGS Responds to Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill (U.S. Geological Survey)
Information from other sources:
- #oilspil hashtag on Twitter (What are hashtags?)
- Disaster unfolds slowly in the Gulf of Mexico: Big Picture (Boston Globe)
- Oil spill approaches Louisiana coast: Big Picture (Boston Globe)
- Tracking the Oil Spill (New York Times)
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Multimedia Collection (New York Times)
- Gulf Oil Spill: Containment And Cleanup (NPR)
- Gulf Coast Oil Spill (CNN)
- Deepwater Horizon oil spill (Guardian)