Today’s links are mostly a bunch of pictures/videos, but I suppose that’s the way things end up. I’ve been watching more Wimbledon than anything else, to be quite honest. But we’ll start with a few blog posts.
- In a lot of geekish circles I read/travel in, gaming and women has been a pretty hot topic. There’s been a lot of drama about women playing video games, about who the audience of games are and so on. Skepchick has a really good article about the lack of women characters in World of Warcraft, but the article is more meta that just that. I recommend giving it a read.
- Phil Plait, of Bad Astronomy always posts really good time-lapse videos (which I really love) and the other day he posted a great one by Tor Even Mathisen, filmed in northern Norway, it includes auroras and snow — the perfect thing to watch since SE Michigan is under a heat advisory at the moment.
- I recently finished a great Korean drama (tv show) called Hero (2012/OCN). I plan to review the whole show (it’s only 9 episodes) eventually, but if anyone is interested in what it is I like, you can watch the whole show on Hulu. Also, be sure to check out the kdrama City Hunter on Netflix Instant, it’s also good.
- One of my favorite mandopop singers (from Taiwan) just released a new album (I plan to order the CD, probably tomorrow). I’ve posted some Yoga Lin stuff before, but I managed to get a digital copy of the new album and it is so very good. You can watch the MV (music video) to one of the songs off his album on YouTube.
- Some science! I follow KQED’s science tumblr and they posted a really fascinating video that NASA posted about some problems getting to Mars: Curiosity’s Seven Minutes of Terror.
- More music, but this time of the kpop kind. Sometimes you need a little dance music to keep you going, and luckily the totally fabulous Jo Kwon (of the kpop ballad group 2AM, which I don’t listen to) has released a new album. I can tell you, with certainty, that it is delicious. If the album had been recorded by anyone else, I don’t think I would’ve liked it. But since it’s Jo Kwon, I can enjoy it without hesitation. You can watch the MV for his first single (be aware, it’s ridiculous) and listen to the other tracks over on Omona. It’s probably not your thing, but it’s surprisingly mine.
- More from KQED: Call for Ray Bradbury to be honoured with internet error message and please, don’t answer this call!
- A little bit more music (that’s totally not your thing, I know). I haven’t been a big fan of women’s groups (I refuse to call them girl groups) in kpop, because they’re all basically the same (looks, sound, etc), since that’s what the kpop industry likes. But recently I’ve started getting into 2ne1. They’re more hip-hop than most male kpop hip-hop groups. I’ve only heard their Korean stuff, but you can listen to their music on youtube (probably both Korean and Japanese).
- And, lastly, those pictures you’re all waiting for: penguins, baby sloths who make everything better, a lemur with an umbrella, and Seungri (of Big Bang) being adorable and kind of hot.