When my dad visited me back in August, he introduced me to a young pianist named Joey Alexander. For more about Joey, check out these two NPR stories:
Suffice to say, I fell in love with his music immediately. This kid (and he is kid) is incredible and he’s playing in one of my favorite musical mediums, jazz. My dad and I went to Barnes & Noble (remember those stores?) and bought his album, which we listened to all weekend. Here’s a taste of Joey’s music. He is really that good.
As you have all noticed by now, I am a huge fan of SHINee. This is the music video for their new single of off the repackage* album of the same title. I love it. Hopefully you will, too.
* Repackage means that the album (Odd, in this case) is being re-released with additional songs. This sometimes works in fans’ favor. For example, with Niel re-released his album, I hadn’t purchased the original, so I got the same songs, plus the new ones. In SHINee’s case, I already bought Odd … which of course means that I bought MTTM, too. #fangirlproblems
Today’s theme is sports and amazing ladies. Enjoy!
- Wheels Up The fast, bruising life of Lizzie Armanto (California Sunday Magazine)
Armanto (photo (c) Julian Bleecker)
That third link is a really long read, set aside some time for it.
- The Lost Man In 1948, a man was found on a beach in South Australia. The mysterious circumstances of his death have captivated generations of true-crime fanatics. Today, one amateur sleuth has come close to solving the case — and upended his life in the process. (California Sunday Magazine)
The road (photo (c) Greg Johnston)
Music video for a song off of Jake’s new album (coming out in October). I love his music.
I hope everyone had a nice, long Labor Day weekend, if you celebrate it, that is (or, you know, live in the US). We have new New York Times links today. And yes, before you ask, I am a Serena Williams fan.
- Like It’s 1999: On Serena Williams’s Dominance and the Passage of Time (Grantland)
- The Agency: From a nondescript office building in St. Petersburg, Russia, an army of well-paid “trolls” has tried to wreak havoc all around the Internet — and in real-life American communities. (NYTimes)
Serena Williams Day 9 action at the 2015 BNP Paribas Open. (photo (c) mirsasha)
Last October, I had the pleasure of seeing B1A4 live. They were amazing. They released a new mini album on August 12th and they did a concert for a bunch of fans and played some of their new songs. This is a fancam of one of them. Enjoy!